Proposal for TurboGears2 port

Alessandro Molina alessandro.molina at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 23:00:27 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,
I'm Alessandro from TurboGears2 team.

Before Christmas I got in touch with Mads and Andrew regarding the future
of Kallithea and Pylons. As Pylons is now in legacy mode and won't see much
support in future Kallithea would probably have to consider what to do in
the near future.

And that's why I thought about getting in touch with them and they asked me
to also write here.

TurboGears2 has been based on Pylons for years, for that reason TG apis are
very similar to Pylons one (global thread local request, tmpl_context,
app_globals, beaker for caching, SQLA for db and so on...) but since
version 2.3, that introduced Python3 support, the framework is not based on
Pylons anymore and has its own core while maintaining backward
compatibility.

For this reason TurboGears2 might be a good option for Kallithea future, as
the API is very similar to the Pylons one and only routing would probably
require major changes (TurboGears2 uses ObjectDispatch for routing instead
of regex, but there is a tgext.routes module to use regex routes).

TurboGears2 currently doesn't have a community as big as alternatives like
Django or Flask, but for that precise reason Kallithea would end up being a
flagship project for TG and I would be willing to help as far as I can with
any TG related issue and a possible port.

So I kallithea community is willing to move away from Pylons I'm more that
willing to help with a possible port to TG and I'm sure that TG would
gladly consider Kallithea a first citizen.