Problems installing Kallithea on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

Angel Ezquerra angel.ezquerra at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:52:56 UTC 2016

Hi,

I recently installed Kallithea on my laptop to give it a try prior to
installing it in the server where our main repositories are located.
Now that I´ve played a bit with it I´d like to install it on our
server (which runs Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard).

I've been following the steps described in (as I did when installing
on my laptop):

    https://docs.kallithea-scm.org/en/latest/installation_win.html

I've run into a problem when doing the "pip install kallithea" step:

C:\>cd c:\Kallithea\Env\Scripts

c:\Kallithea\Env\Scripts>activate

(Env) c:\Kallithea\Env\Scripts>pip install kallithea
Collecting kallithea
  Using cached Kallithea-0.3.tar.gz
    Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
    warning: no previously-included files matching '*' found under directory 'do
cs\_build\_sources'
    warning: no files found matching '*.html' under directory 'docs\_build'
    Warning: no news for this version found
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
      File "c:\users\REDACTED\appdata\local\temp\2\pip-build-v_2m8m\kallithe
a\setup.py", line 190, in <module>
        """,
      File "C:\Python27\Lib\distutils\core.py", line 111, in setup
        _setup_distribution = dist = klass(attrs)
      File "c:\kallithea\env\lib\site-packages\setuptools\dist.py", line 269, in
 __init__
        self.fetch_build_eggs(attrs['setup_requires'])
      File "c:\kallithea\env\lib\site-packages\setuptools\dist.py", line 313, in
 fetch_build_eggs
        replace_conflicting=True,
      File "c:\kallithea\env\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources\__init__.py", line
825, in resolve
        dist = best[req.key] = env.best_match(req, ws, installer)
      File "c:\kallithea\env\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources\__init__.py", line
1070, in best_match
        return self.obtain(req, installer)
      File "c:\kallithea\env\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources\__init__.py", line
1082, in obtain
        return installer(requirement)
      File "c:\kallithea\env\lib\site-packages\setuptools\dist.py", line 380, in
 fetch_build_egg
        return cmd.easy_install(req)
      File "c:\kallithea\env\lib\site-packages\setuptools\command\easy_install.p
y", line 640, in easy_install
        return self.install_item(spec, dist.location, tmpdir, deps)
      File "c:\kallithea\env\lib\site-packages\setuptools\command\easy_install.p
y", line 670, in install_item
        dists = self.install_eggs(spec, download, tmpdir)
      File "c:\kallithea\env\lib\site-packages\setuptools\command\easy_install.p
y", line 853, in install_eggs
        return self.build_and_install(setup_script, setup_base)
      File "c:\kallithea\env\lib\site-packages\setuptools\command\easy_install.p
y", line 1081, in build_and_install
        self.run_setup(setup_script, setup_base, args)
      File "c:\kallithea\env\lib\site-packages\setuptools\command\easy_install.p
y", line 1069, in run_setup
        raise DistutilsError("Setup script exited with %s" % (v.args[0],))
    distutils.errors.DistutilsError: Setup script exited with error: Setup scrip
t exited with error: Setup script exited with error: Setup script exited with er
ror: SandboxViolation: open('build\\bdist.win32\\egg\\paste\\evalexception\\medi
a\\MochiKit.packed.js', 'wb') {}

    The package setup script has attempted to modify files on your system
    that are not within the EasyInstall build area, and has been aborted.

    This package cannot be safely installed by EasyInstall, and may not
    support alternate installation locations even if you run its setup
    script by hand.  Please inform the package's author and the EasyInstall
    maintainers to find out if a fix or workaround is available.

Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in c:\users\REDACTED
\appdata\local\temp\2\pip-build-v_2m8m\kallithea

I did not have this problem when installing Kallithea on my windows 7
laptop. There are a few of differences compared to what I did when
installing to my laptop:

- Windows 7 vs Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

- The server has the 32-bit version of Python 2.7.11 installed
(whereas my laptop has the x64 version).

- I did not use virtualenv when installing on my laptop.

Do you have any idea of what might be the problem? I'd rather use
virtualenv on the server, in order to avoid any possible disruption to
our current Apache-served mercurial hgweb instance.That is also why
I'd rather not install the x64 version of Python either.

Thanks,

Angel