dependency restrictions question

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Sun Feb 19 21:15:05 UTC 2017

On 02/18/2017 09:05 PM, ng0 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> packaging kallithea for Guix now moved to the QA phase and I have
> further questions about it.
>
> You have some strict dependencies on old or very old versions:
>   - mercurial 3.7.3
>   - dulwhich 0.9.9
>   - routes 1.13
>   - urlobject 2.3.4
>   - docutils 0.11
>   - markdown 2.2.1
>   - babel 1.3
>   - pyparsing 1.5.0
>
> and at least one old version dependency which results from these old
> package versions.
>
> We like to keep the number of our old version in-tree packages
> at a reasonable number, so my question is wether all of this is really
> necessary or if someone has tested new versions of the packages
> succesfully[0] and you just impose these restrictions because of
> unspecified reasons.
> If there are reasons, can you list them, if possible for every package I
> named so that I can add the reason(s) as code-comment to the packages.

(The "official" "supported" versions can be found in setup.py . You can
patch it, and you can easily try different combinations if you test
using a virtualenv and pip as suggested in our documentation.)

We try to make a good compromise between optimism and realism in the
versions we claim to "support". Most of the constraints are "this is
what we have reviewed, tested, and used in production and know works".
There might be later versions - but we did and do know know the status
yet. Some of the constraints can probably be lifted, especially if we
assume "semantic versioning" ... but we really should check the release
notes of the dependencies we update and test it thoroughly before
claiming we "support" it.

Some version dependencies have recently been lifted on the development
branch. If you are creating a new package, perhaps consider starting out
packing the development branch and contribute fixes. Once the
development branch is released as stable, you can switch to stable.