cannot set up Kallithea in Ubuntu 16.04

Uwe Brauer oub at mat.ucm.es
Thu Aug 13 17:34:44 UTC 2020

>>> "MK" == Mads Kiilerich <mads-h1iwDtBV6gO1Z/+hSey0Gg at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On 8/13/20 5:42 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> > It seems like your installation somehow got off track and you thus got
>> > on a bumpy road. At this point I would suggest reinstalling Ubuntu (to
>> > get an easy cleanup after the things done as root) and start over,
>> > keeping records of which choices and commands you use - that will make
>> > it easier to help if you should encounter problems again.
>>
>> Right now I cannot reinstall (or better said upgrade to 20.04) my Ubuntu
>> since I cannot backup my home directory

> That sounds like other and severe problems. It would perhaps be better
> to fix that first.

Oh well what I meant is I don't have a backup medium with me to save my
home directory first.

>> My last attempt to sort out this mess.
>>
>> sudo -H pip uninstall kallisthea
>>
>> And off it is from /usr/local/lib/python2.7
>> pip install --user kallithea
>>
>> Gives me now
>>
>> Using cached Kallithea-0.6.1.tar.gz (4.3 MB)
>> ,----
>> |
>> |     ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
>> |      command: /usr/bin/python -c 'import sys, setuptools, tokenize;
>> |      sys.argv[0] = '"'"'/tmp/pip-install-MIEe7A/kallithea/setup.py'"'"';
>> |      __file__='"'"'/tmp/pip-install-MIEe7A/kallithea/setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize,
>> |      '"'"'open'"'"',
>> |      open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"',
>> |      '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__,
>> |      '"'"'exec'"'"'))' egg_info --egg-base /tmp/pip-pip-egg-info-zO3AGs
>> |          cwd: /tmp/pip-install-MIEe7A/kallithea/
>> |     Complete output (5 lines):
>> |     Traceback (most recent call last):
>> |       File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
>> |       File "/tmp/pip-install-MIEe7A/kallithea/setup.py", line 13, in <module>
>> |         raise Exception('Kallithea requires Python 3.6 or later')
>> |     Exception: Kallithea requires Python 3.6 or later
>> |     ----------------------------------------
>> | ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info Check the logs for full command output.
>> `----
>>

>> And Ubuntu 16.04 comes with python 3.5 so end of game, maybe I could try
>> to install it from source

> We don't know how you installed Kallithea before, but you must have
> been using a py3 pip. Weird it doesn't pick that one up now. Something
> weird is going on.

> It seems like you ended up using the last "Installing a released
> version without virtualenv" options on
> https://kallithea.readthedocs.io/en/stable/installation.html . I had
> forgotten we mention these in the documentation. That doesn't get much
> testing. A Kallithea specific virtualenv has the advantage of keeping
> everything installed for Kallithea in one place, separate from things
> that might be installed for other reasons.

Ok, so the question is how can I install a release *with* virtualenv
using pip?

I am really grateful for all your support and sorry to nag so much.

The point is I want to do some testing for my university in order to
convince them to install kallithea (or sorry heptapod) as a sever for
collaboration.

Uwe