Scope of this phase of npoacct

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn at ebb.org
Wed Aug 31 01:51:53 UTC 2016

Glen,

These are useful comments, and I do see your point about how A/P data
entry is roughly a special-case of what we're trying to do with the
reimbursement system.

Glen Whitney wrote at 13:22 (PDT) on Friday:
> I don't see anything much particularly "extra" about reimbursement
> requests as opposed to other A/P entries on the one hand, or anything
> much needed for general A/P entries that is irrelevant to
> reimbursement requests.

The main issue that makes the reimbursement situation more difficult is
external interaction with someone who knows nothing about how to enter
things for A/P.  And, there is a judgment call of whether  the expense
is valid, whether it met the policy, etc.

I've not seen any A/P data entry systems that have a workflow of the
type Brett is working on, mainly because by the time someone gets in
front of an A/P entry screen, they *know* they want to enter the expense
and believe it's valid.

I saw a demo recently of a leading proprietary system for NPO
accounting.  At the demo, I asked this very question: how when you do
A/P entry, how do you record the approval details that made sure that
expense was valid.

Like Conservancy does with our ledger-cli system we use today, they had
the ability with their proprietary system to attach any document to the
ledger entry, but nothing to ask questions about approval or coordinate
approval.  The interface was just for the bookkeeper, not for the
individual.

I assume big corporate systems like Oracle's, or Blackbaud's have
something similar to what Brett does; maybe someone who has used those
can comment?

--
   -- bkuhn