Software Freedom Conservancy Announces North Bay Python Conference

Karen Sandler info at sfconservancy.org
Wed Aug 16 14:09:01 UTC 2017

https://sfconservancy.org/news/2017/aug/16/north-bay-python/

Software Freedom Conservancy Announces North Bay Python Conference

Newest member project is dedicated to organizing conference in Petaluma,
CA

Software Freedom Conservancy announced today that North Bay Python, a
regional conference in Petaluma, California designed to be inclusive and
affordable, has become Conservancy’s first member project dedicated to
organizing community events.

Conservancy, a public charity focused on ethical technology, is home to
over forty member projects dedicated to developing and promoting free
and open source software. Conservancy acts as a corporate umbrella,
allowing member projects to operate as charitable initiatives without
having to manage their own corporate structure and administrative
services.

“Joining Conservancy is a big step for us,” said Christopher Neugebauer,
chair of the North Bay Python team. “It’s good news logistically, though
we’re most excited by our philosophical alignment. Like Conservancy, our
goal is to promote the use and development of free and open source
software. We will do that by running an event that is accessible to
people from all walks of life, especially those who are underrepresented
and underserved by existing events.”

“We’re glad to have North Bay Python onboard as our first community
conference member project,” explained Karen M. Sandler, Conservancy’s
Executive Director. “Many of our member projects run events, but this is
new for us. We strongly believe that community-run events, especially
those that make diversity and inclusion a first-order priority, are
critical to expanding access to software freedom. We can’t wait to
realize that vision together with North Bay Python.”

To mark the occasion, North Bay Python is donating five free tickets to
Outreachy participants. Interested Outreachy alums (past or present)
should contact outreach at northbaypython.org. North Bay Python will also
have special offers for Supporters of Software Freedom Conservancy,
which will be announced when tickets go on sale.

Organizations that want to support efforts to make the free and open
source software community more inclusive can find information on
sponsorship opportunities for North Bay Python in the prospectus for
this year’s event.

About North Bay Python

North Bay Python is a 2-day community conference that brings together
professionals, enthusiasts, and students interested in the Python
programming language. North Bay Python 2017 will be held on December 2 &
3 at the Mystic Theatre in Historic Downtown Petaluma, California. For
more information visit northbaypython.org.