Death, taxes and free software at DebConf this year

Deb Nicholson deb at sfconservancy.org
Tue Aug 14 15:49:03 UTC 2018

Hi all,
In case you missed it, our most excellent Executive Director, Karen
Sandler and FSF Campaigns Manager, Molly de Blanc presented together at
DebConf in Taiwan earlier this month on what *really* constitutes a
software freedom issue. Turns out that lots of things are affected by
the absence or presence of software freedom including; many serious
topics like depression treatments, automated devices in our homes,
public transportation, domestic violence and government data. There
were also some very funny moments, but I won't spoil the video for you.

This year is the first time this critical event has taken place in Asia
. Over 300 free software enthusiasts attended talks, squashed bugs and
discussed critical issues like reproducible builds, what contributing
is like around the world and how to increase diversity in free software
projects. Both Karen and Molly have been to DebConf multiple times and
highly recommend this event.

You can catch Karen next in New York in early October where she'll be k
eynoting PyGotham.

Molly's next public appearance is at the end of the month in Vancouver
where she'll be participating in a panel that will be discussing ways
to use metrics to help create common understanding around diversity and
inclusion goals.

Thanks for supporting our work!
Best,
Deb