Explicitly aiming for Kallithea adoption amongst some significant Python user communities?

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Sun Dec 7 21:45:56 EST 2014

Hi

We have heard rumours of the Python discussions but it is nice to hear
from you directly.

There is a lot of content in your mail. I will not try to respond to all
of it in detail but will make some more general comments.

We would of course love to have you as happy users of Kallithea.

One of my visions for Kallithea is to avoid lock-in, especially on
closed software where you don't have any control. I want the internet as
my "social" network - not something hosted on one site. I want to give
people the freedom to host their repositories on their own or hosted
systems and let code and reviews and "pull requests" and "merges" flow
between the systems.

I will give GitHub credit for having managed to make everybody accept
the same workflow. But more than that, I think it is important for
projects and organizations to establish workflows that fits their own
use case. I don't think any software can support all reasonable
workflows and integrations ... and the harder it try, the more it will
fail. I think Kallithea has an important but also very difficult role to
play there. Kallithea should of course just work out of the box and also
be configurable with more advanced features, but it should also stay
focussed. There will always be things that are better done in
customizations or custom development. (The system I maintain have
something like 20 custom features/changesets that are useful for us but
not (yet?) are sufficiently generic to be upstreamed. Most of our
changes are however of general value and done upstream.)

Some short comments to some of your bullet points:

Issue tracking integration might just require correct configuration of
links and hooks.

CI might not require more than some Mercurial hooks ... but I guess it
also could integrate deeply with some PR work flow that probably would
be quite custom. Zuul also sounds interesting.

Mirroring can also just be done from hooks.

OpenID-ish login would not be hard to implement. The biggest challenge
might be how to handle DMCA if you will offer public repo hosting.

Cross site PRs ... it is still a bit unknown what that really would mean
and how we can interact with the big existing hosting sites.

I am not aware of any saltstack integration but there is
https://github.com/b6d/ansible_modules_kallithea .