Started work on ideas for simplifying testing and demonstration deployments

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Thu Dec 18 10:30:19 EST 2014

On 12/17/2014 10:12 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I just wanted to let you know that I've started working on some ideas
> to use tools like Vagrant, Docker and OpenShift to make it easier to
> run and deploy testing and demonstration instances of Kallithea.

That sounds great!

The stack can be complex and with lots of options - especially complex
when using rabbitmq.

Do you plan on support different custom configuration and free choice of
sqlite and postgresql ... and perhaps different choice of web server
stack? I guess it depends on whether your scope is to demonstrate the
application, to make a nice container for your setup, or provide a
generic way to support several fine setups.

> The
> difficulty of sharing proposed UI changes is one of the issues we run
> into when folks are working bugs.python.org, so it's one I'd like to
> tackle up front for my forge.python.org proposal.

Can you say more about that? You want to attach/include screen-shots in
the PRs and/or comments?

I'm currently playing around with patches that just recognize URLs to
images and show them inline. (We have also disabled rst and do just use
plain text so people get ASCII WYSIWYG and can focus on their message
and be able to paste all kind of code snippets without interference from
the templating language.)