comments on summary versus commits

Jan Heylen heyleke at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 10:09:11 EST 2015

Hi,

we're evaluating Kallithea for doing code review. E.g I create a pull
request with multiple commits and start reviewing, another user puts
some comments on the summary view, others put comments on the
individual commits.

What I noticed is:
* it is hard to get a full picture of all the comments given (on
summary and on individual commits) (an overview (on the pull request
summary page) of all the comments given, not in-line, but with links
to the in-line-comment could be a solution)
* if reviewing per commit, on a given line, it could be that somebody
else already has given a comment via the summary page, that comment is
not displayed here.

I understand that not all lines that are in the individual commit will
also be in the summary, e.g. when they are deleted in another
individual commit. But maybe Kallithea should "try" to put comments in
both views? Or should there be, or is there, a configuration option to
disable comments on the summary page?

Also, what I noticed, at the moment a comment is given, an email goes
out. I think it should be possible of putting comments on various
places in e.g. a commit and then press the save/send button. I've
tried this, but the unsaved comments are "lost", only the one (bottom)
comment where you pressed saved is kept and emailed.

At least we should start the discussion on which direction Kallithea
should go regarding these comments.

best regards,

Jan