comments on summary versus commits

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 01:24:26 EST 2015

On 24 January 2015 at 04:56, Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> wrote:
> On 01/23/2015 04:09 PM, Jan Heylen wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>

> I mostly agree with your thoughts. It would be nice to have improvements in
> the areas and directions you mention.
>
> Some quick comments:
>
> I would like to improve Kallithea so it pushes users towards creating nice
> commits - not just piling random hacking up until it looks fine but has a
> messy history.
>
> I think that ideally, review should happen per changeset. The full "pull
> request" diff can only be used to give a summary of what really happened.
>
> One step in that direction would be to include some annotate information in
> the pull request diff, and instead of making comments on the pull request,
> make a comment on the PR changeset that changed the corresponding line. It
> should of course also flow in the opposite direction so a pull request
> aggregates comments from all changesets.

I think focusing the review on the individual commits rather than the
whole feature branch proposed for merging is one of the key things
that Gerrit does well relative to the GitHub/BitBucket style pull
request model.

To let you sensibly use git's history editing and rebasing features
during the review process, Gerrit lets you add a "Change-Id" marker to
the commit message, so it knows when your commit is actually a
revision of an earlier one (that's necessary for git, for Mercurial
changeset evolution should provide a similar capability natively).

This ends up being really valuable for complex feature branch merges,
since you can do the main review once, and then review the "diff of
the diff" to check that review comments have been addressed before
merging it.

Regards,
Nick.