templates and controllers

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 15:45:14 EST 2015

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> wrote:
> On 02/13/2015 09:34 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
>>
>> For this static implementation, where one template file 'includes' the
>> other, there are also two variants used:
>> - render the included template from the controller, store it in a variable
>> that is passed in the controller context, and display the variable from the
>> main template.
>

> I don't think that is a good idea. I don't think pattern it is used that
> much? It is not so MVC-ish.

A quick search reveils:

$ grep -rn '= render' controllers/
controllers/followers.py:56:        c.followers_data =
render('/followers/followers_data.html')
controllers/forks.py:126:        c.forks_data = render('/forks/forks_data.html')
controllers/pullrequests.py:207:        c.pullrequest_data =
render('/pullrequests/pullrequest_data.html')
controllers/summary.py:111:                        readme_data =
renderer.render(readme.content,
controllers/admin/gists.py:234:        rendered =
render('admin/gists/edit.html')
controllers/admin/admin.py:144:        c.log_data =
render('admin/admin_log.html')
controllers/journal.py:210:        c.journal_data =
render('journal/journal_data.html')
controllers/journal.py:353:        c.journal_data =
render('journal/journal_data.html')

Unless you see a good reason why the above is like that, this could be
cleaned up...

>> - or let the main template include the other template directly from mako
>> code.
>

> +1
> I think it is better to handle all templating in the templates.

And let the controller just call 'render' once, for the 'main'
template to use, right?

Thanks,
Thomas