pull requests: variable names

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 16:41:15 EST 2015

On 20 February 2015 at 01:47, Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> wrote:

> [Bitbucket do not show a diff from the ancestor. They try to do an in memory
> merge and show the diff from the target/destination head, often with
> unreadable conflict markers. I don't like that.]
>
> /Mads

Atlassian actually posted a nice write-up of the differences between
doing a "change review" (what GitHub, Kallithea, Gerrit, etc all work
with) and a "pre-merge review" (what BitBucket does):
https://developer.atlassian.com/blog/2015/01/a-better-pull-request/

Article title reflecting *their* perspective, naturally :)

I personally think Gerrit's support for rebasing a review directly in
the web UI is a better solution to that particular problem, rather
than doing it implicitly in the background. If you get a conflict,
you're going to want to pull it down and resolve it locally anyway.

Cheers,
Nick.