Kill RST

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Fri Mar 6 09:46:25 EST 2015

On 03/03/2015 03:22 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 7:57 AM, Andrew Shadura <andrew at shadura.me> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 10:35:36 -0800
>> Sean Farley

>>> Why not make RST 'just work'? i.e. if a user types plain text the
>>> output is plain text.
>> I think we need to:
>>
>> i) switch to some flavour of Markdown by default
>> ii) let users choose the format of every comment they add: plain text,
>> md, rst
>>
>> We can't detect the markup effectively because both rst and md *are*
>> plain text (well, md more so).
>>
> I'm fine with this approach, but I'd like to either see
> - plain text being the default in the comment handling, or
> - allow the user to set this as a personal preference

It is also more tricky to do automatic markup of hashes and URLs when we
support multiple kinds of encoding.

It seems like we kind of agree that RST not is good for this purpose.
Can we agree that plain text is better than RST? Would it be acceptable
as a first milestone to drop RST and replace it with plain text with
automatic markup of hashes?

Next, someone who cares about MD could implement that and make the UI
and implementation more clean (and possibly also reintroduce an option
for RST.