Kill RST

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 11:23:58 EST 2015

On 7 March 2015 at 00:40, Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> wrote:
>> How do other projects do this? Trac, Redmine, etc. all have some fancy
>> formatting that seems to work-ish?
>

> I remember Trac being annoying too. It might be work-ish but I think it
> would work better without markup.

Not being able to do monospaced code in comments is a genuinely
annoying limitation. The way Markdown handles this is quite nice, as
it just assumes that any block indented 4+ spaces is code.

To be honest, that plus automatically linkifying anything that looks
like a URL, and having a regex that picks up references to issues, PRs
and commits and also turns those into links would cover pretty much
everything you really need.

I agree with the notion that ReST is just a plain poor fit for comment
formatting though - it's definitely more appropriate for "more complex
than a single article" use cases, where you can actually make use of
the role-based cross referencing capabilities.

Cheers,
Nick.