ssh support

Michael V. DePalatis mike at depalatis.net
Sat Mar 7 12:29:07 EST 2015

I have been wondering about ssh support in Kallithea. From what I can
tell, at this point, there is no option either in the web admin
interface or in the ini file to configure ssh clone URLs. I'm willing to
work on this since I prefer to use ssh over https given that ssh keys
are easier for me to deal with than https authentication (mainly since I
use git for most of my personal projects, which has no equivalent to the
Mercurial keyring extension as far as I can tell).

What follows is a proposed (two step!) roadmap for ssh support.

* Add option for ssh clone URLs.

For small scale deployments, this is already enough. For example, my use
cases involve:

(1) A central server for hosting repositories for a small research group
(~10 users).
(2) A server for hosting personal/private repositories.

In each case, it is sufficient to manually copy over public keys to a
central authorized_keys file.

* Add support for uploading ssh keys from the web interface.

This is obviously more ideal since it only requires using the web
interface to upload keys. It also would require a bit more knowledge of
Pylons (and web development in general) than I currently have.

One outstanding question I have is how to properly deal with access
control. For the small scale deployments I am currently using, it is not
important to restrict upload rights to certain users. If that is
important, though, I would think one would need to use something like
gitolite (and whatever the hg equivalent is) to properly manage this,
which necessarily adds two extra dependencies (assuming support of both
git and Mercurial).

Thoughts?

--
Mike