[DEMO] automatic saving of draft comments

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Mon May 25 15:41:12 EDT 2015

On 05/25/2015 10:06 AM, Jan Heylen wrote:

> Any comments?

I don't understand the references to "blur". What problem do you think
it would or wouldn't solve?

For the general demo, I think the UI as it is would be a regression.

The color emphasis of drafts do not seem efficient to me. I would much
prefer if "draft" commits just remained having an open edit field. That
would make it obvious that it still was editable.

We will need a way to navigate to unsaved commits in a big PR - some
kind of overview is needed.

It would also be essential that mails with multiple comments contains
links to the individual comments.

How about trying to attack it from another more UI focused angle and let
it meet your existing work in the middle.

* Link unsaved (and saved) comments into the previous/next chain even
before saving (and remove them from the chain when deleting/canceling).
* Maintain a list of the unsaved comments at the bottom of the page -
with a bit of filename/linenumber/text snippet preview and navigation
links to get to the comment.
* Make the Comment button at the bottom of the page save all the unsaved
comments instead of warning (done by calling the existing comment API
multiple times)
* Remove all the inline Comment buttons (and perhaps replace with a link
to navigating to the buttom of the page or at least a bit of explanation)
* Change the API so all comments are saved at once
* Send one mail with all the comments from the same batch
* Add auto-save of drafts/unsaved comments, regularly and/or when
navigating out of the input field.

I think doing these changes in that order would give obvious immediate
improvements that would add value one by one.

As I have seen your problem definition stated, it seems like you don't
necessarily need the last step ... but it would be nice to have.