Making pytest the standard test suite (instead of nose)

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Sun May 31 07:23:45 EDT 2015

On 05/31/2015 12:57 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using pytest for a while now, and think we should consider
> making it the default test suite instead of nose.
>
> As I see it, there are following points to do:
>
> 1. silence the database setup code by default. Currently, the initial
> step of the tests sets up the database and all commands are passing by
> on the terminal. This should be silent, just like with nose.
> However, I don't know how to fix this correctly, and I hope Marc,
> Ronny or Brianna could help here.

Even better if we somehow could take a copy of the database once it has
been created and reuse it next time ... with some detection of
invalidation, perhaps by storing hashes of db.py and the fixtures?

> 2. once point 1. is solved, add pytest and pytest-sugar in setup.py dependencies
>
> 3. update documentation

Sounds good to me, even though I would prefer to start by adding a bit
of documentation so people can run the tests without digging into
pytest. Just a few lines giving examples and explaining something like
"How to run the tests with pytest - the most common command line
options", "How to (re)run specific tests", "How to understand failure
output and debug failures".

Also, at some point there will be a step 4 for removing all traces of
nose before it become bitrotting debt.