Server side pull request merging

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Thu Jul 16 13:18:21 UTC 2015

On 07/16/2015 01:44 PM, Moreno Javier wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Currently, in my department, we are thinking about changing our
> mercurial source code manager. I’ve been toying around with few and I
> find Kallithea an interesting option. However, would like to be able
> to merge pull request in the server (In a similar way of how RhodeCode
> does it in the last version). I know that so far that is not possible
> with Kallithea and that a manual merge is required. My question is:
> Are there any plans of implementing such functionality? If so, do you
> have any estimations about when? (short/mid/long term)

We have heard (and given) the request before, but so far nobody have
invested in implementing it. I would like to see it in Kallithea ... but
probably in a way where it is optional.

Server side merge functionality might be convenient but can also be
considered harmful. It encourages a workflow where dirty history is
merged ... and where the merges make the history even more dirty. Some
people like that - I don't. I prefer to have a linear history - that is
why we for Kallithea rebase (and polish) contributed patches before
applying them. We would not use a "merge button" if we had one. At work
we do merge and get dirty history, but the actual merge is just a small
part of what is checked and done when merging to our mainline so doing
it locally is no significant overhead and gives better insight into what
actually is merged.

RhodeCode is not open source and presumably violating the GPL so we
can't know what they are doing.