forge.python.org status update

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Thu Aug 6 22:28:09 UTC 2015

On 08/06/2015 03:58 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> TL;DR: the forge.python.org proposal in PEP 474 has been stalled for a
> while, but I expect activity on it to pick up again between now and
> the end of October.

/me nods and says "yeah, right" ;-)

> Sorry for the lack of progress/updates on the forge.python.org idea in
> recent months, but I started a new Fedora developer experience role at
> Red Hat, Donald Stufft started a new upstream Python packaging
> ecosystem focused role on the OpenStack team at HP, and Brett Cannon
> started a new tools development job at Microsoft, so the key players
> have all been rather distracted of late :)
>
> For the benefit of folks that haven't heard about the forge.python.org
> concept yet, it's a proposal I put together a while ago to have a
> proper VCS repo management system hosted at forge.python.org. Since
> GitHub, BitBucket and GitLab exist, this wouldn't be a general purpose
> hosting platform, but rather targeted specifically at CPython and
> closely related projects (like the developer guide and PEPs repo).
>
> My proposal (https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0474/) is based on
> Kallithea, as I'd like us to have something that offers the simplicity
> of GitHub/BitBucket style pull request workflows by default, but also
> offers the option of enabling a more complex Gerrit style change
> review process within the target repo that allows maintainers to
> handle the final cleanup pass rather than having to ask contributors
> to make those changes and resubmit, or to handle that step in the
> process using offline tools.
>
> There isn't anything out there that currently offers that, but I
> believe Kallithea could *potentially* offer it with appropriate
> updates to allow acceptance of changes online, in addition to the
> current online review support.

It still sounds great!

I will just add that us upstream and other contributors also might be
busy. It might take some time to ramp up and coordinate and find
available slots. It might thus be better to have a soft early start than
to have a shorter burst of a lot of activity ;-)