Proposal for TurboGears2 port

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Sat Jan 30 12:27:28 UTC 2016

On 01/23/2016 12:00 AM, Alessandro Molina wrote:
> For this reason TurboGears2 might be a good option for Kallithea future

Some of the core developers met right before Fosdem and discussed this
too (
https://bitbucket.org/conservancy/kallithea/wiki/DeveloperMeeting2016January
).

We agree that it seems like a very good match. TurboGears seems like the
best way forward for Kallithea. Thanks for proposing it. We have put it
on the roadmap ( https://bitbucket.org/conservancy/kallithea/wiki/Home )
and encourage everybody to work on making that happen.

We want TG ... but we also don't want to be left with our development
branch with neither Pylons nor TurboGears working. We can do preparatory
work on the main branch but would like to see a fully working TG port on
a dev branch before we switch.

I expect further experiments on the kallithea-tg branch to  show how we
could change and refactor Kallithea to make a switch to TG easier. Such
changes should be upstreamed on the main Kallithea development branch
ASAP while still using Pylons. The first goal for Kallithea on TG should
be to towards making a minimal (and thus optimally reviewable) PR for
switching from Pylons to TG. Later we can remove compatibility hacks and
really start utilizing TG.