A little trick using the Analytics HTML feature

Angel Ezquerra angel.ezquerra at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 11:32:50 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire
<patrickdepinguin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Dominik Ruf <dominikruf at gmail.com> wrote:
>> BTW using javascript you can even add and manipulate the html anywhere you
>> want.
>>

> I think it makes sense to rename the 'Analytics' block to a more
> general hook-like name, so that it is less 'hacking'.
> It would also make it more obvious that certain forms of customization
> can be achieved without needing to change the source code.
> In fact, this includes arbitrary HTML, Javascript, and CSS. It's a
> relatively elegant solution to the 'theming' problem.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> /Thomas

I agree that this is a quite simple yet generic way to customize
Kallithea which would not require changing the source code.

One drawback of this approach is that you can easily break the server
by making _all_ Kallithea pages broken. I ran into that while playing
with this when I incorrectly set the position of all elements of the
page wrong.

Perhaps a solution to this would be to ignore the setting on the admin
pages or something like that.

Also, it could perhaps make sense to add several hooks. This would let
you make different customizations for different parts of the UI.

Cheers,

Angel