Fwd: Error when registering a user with a non ASCII character

Angel Ezquerra angel.ezquerra at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 10:33:36 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> wrote:
> On 02/16/2016 08:41 AM, Angel Ezquerra wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> one of my users tried to register into our Kallithea server. His last
>> name contains a non ASCII character (é, i.e. an accented e). This
>> resulted in the following error (which I have redacted a bit to avoid
>> leaking personal info). The relevant part seems to be the
>> "('lastname', 'Jim\xc3\xa9nez')".
>

>> Module kallithea.model.user:199 in create_registration
>>
>> <<              '- Full Name: {user.full_name}\n'
>>                     '- Email: {user.email}\n'
>>                     ).format(user=new_user)
>>                 edit_url = h.canonical_url('edit_user',
>> id=new_user.user_id)
>>                 email_kwargs = {

>> UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in
>> position 9: ordinal not in range(128)
>

> That is on the stable branch? I think I solved that on the default branch in
> https://kallithea-scm.org/repos/kallithea/changeset/330c671dd451#kallitheamodeluserpy_o194
> . Can you test and confirm that? Then I will put just that part of the
> change on the stable branch.
>
> (We use the default branch in production.)
>
> /Mads

Mads,

what is the best way to use a non released kallithea version?
Currently I have Kallithea 0.3 which I installed via pip. Can I simply
take the site-packages/kallithea directory that pip installed and
replace it with the kallithea source code repo? Can I then simply
update the repo to the head of default? Won't there be any problems
with any of the dependencies?

Cheers,

Angel