Markdown support

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Mon Feb 29 11:32:17 UTC 2016

On 02/27/2016 04:54 PM, Angel Ezquerra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to use markdown, rather than RST, in Kallithea? My team
> has used markdown quite a bit already, and they like it, but they do
> not have experience with RST.

Agreed, hardcoded RST did not work.

IMO, the main problem is that there are some need-to-haves:
* simple cut'n'paste of code snippets must just work and give ASCII
WYSIWYG without any overhead - no eating of _ or funny smileys or
mangling of whitespace
* automatic link markup of URLs
* automatic link markup of revision hashes
* automatic link markup of bug tracker references

Some nice-to-haves:
* a way to show images inline
* colors and fonts and sizing - can make it more aesthetically pleasing
and readable ... or the opposite
* semantic markup and syntax highlighting

It is neither feasible to do markup of hashes and bugtracker references
before or after a markdown to html conversion. It requires deep integration.

Thus, the choice is pretty much between simple text as we have it now on
the default branch which gives us all the need-to-haves, or a simple
markdown implementation which will give us all the nice-to-haves.

Personally I see very little value in markdown markup of comments. It
has annoyed me and obfuscated my comments too often. Instinctively, I am
thus opposed to having it as default. But I think it would be great to
have as optional for each comment (dropdown or something like '#md' on
the first line) or configurable. But that's just my bias. Let's revisit
when it actually is an option.

(Also, it would be nice to have consistent handling of commit messages.
It seems like rst markup has some usage in some projects in the Python
community - I don't know how much markdown is used in other projects.)

You can play around with markup in helpers.py render_w_mentions . You
can perhaps reuse some parts from how rst_w_mentions still is used on
the stable branch and in 0.3 .