systemd startup script

Andrew Shadura andrew at shadura.me
Fri May 6 12:34:24 UTC 2016

On 06/05/16 14:25, Nagy Ákos wrote:
> 2016. 05. 06. 14:58 keltezéssel, Georges Racinet írta:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 05/06/2016 01:51 PM, Nagy Ákos wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I wrote a systemd startus script, and test it on Ubuntu 16.04.
>>> I try to create a pull request, but i'm not familiar with it.
>> I'm just a reader here, but I wonder why you use the forking style and
>> not simply run in the foreground and let systemd handle the
>> daemonization (as you did with celery)
> I don't know exacly the difference between simple and forking...
> First I create script for kallithea, and I left with type=forking, but
> probably work with type=simple too.
> Celeryd work only with type=simple.

Forking means the daemon forks into the background (daemonises), so
systemd has to track that and find the forked process, which is a bit
error-prone. Simple means the daemon doesn't fork but stays in
foreground, and systemd manages it and puts it into the background on
its own. Simple is better for systemd because it's more reliable;
besides, systemd is then able to capture the stderr/stdout and direct it
to the system journal automatically.

Do we really need to provide a separate unit for celeryd? Is it not
possible to start it in some way other than by running paster?

--
Cheers,
  Andrew