Turbogears2 migration: custom error pages

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Sun May 29 19:16:31 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 7:13 PM, Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> wrote:
> On 05/23/2016 08:34 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
>>
>> This rebase could also incur some squashing of patches, to make it more
>> ready for upstreaming. What do you think of that?
>

> I haven't checked the repo recently, but it seems like there has been quite
> a bit of experimenting and going back and forth. It would probably be nice
> to get it reworked and cleaned up so we avoid adding unnecessary "debt" from
> the beginning. Just guessing.
>
> I understand TurboGears is very modular and uses existing libraries. Now,
> with a almost-already-successful more-than-proof-of-concept, could it make
> sense to migrate the existing application to these libraries one by one? For
> example starting with replacing paster?

I don't know if it will be that easy, at least I don't see the
modularity right now in the current codebase.

Currently, paster is still used. I briefly tried using gearbox (the
supposed replacement) but it did not work. I did not spend more time
on that to focus on the rest, but it should be tackled at some point.
Other stuff like 'debugbar' also seems very useful, but did not work
out of the box either.
Surely all these are small issues that can be fixed with minor changes.

While actual usage seems fine, there are still many issues in the test
suite and I think we should resolve them before trying to go mainline.

/Thomas