Turbogears2 migration: custom error pages

Alessandro Molina alessandro.molina at gmail.com
Mon May 30 21:10:51 UTC 2016

On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 9:19 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire <
patrickdepinguin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Currently, paster is still used. I briefly tried using gearbox (the
> > supposed replacement) but it did not work. I did not spend more time
> > on that to focus on the rest, but it should be tackled at some point.

Switching to gearbox should be relatively easy, I'll try to check the
reason in the next days.

> > Other stuff like 'debugbar' also seems very useful, but did not work
> > out of the box either.

Issue is that the debugbar, like most TG applications, uses the dotted
notation for template files.
Which in Kallithea is disabled because kallithea renders templates as
'/filename.html' instead of 'kallithea.filename'.

Using the debugbar would require the dotted template engine resolution,
which can't be enabled because the mako renderer in TG doesn't support
mixing the two syntaxes.
Other renderers like the genshi one are smarter and allow mixing path and
dotted notations inside same project, but as the mako was one of the less
used on TurboGears it is not as refined as the others.

I can probably fix this by subclassing the mako renders in Kallithea and
providing a custom renderer that supports both syntaxes.