Some questions about kallithea(long running tasks progress and used web technologies)

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Tue Jun 14 12:07:16 UTC 2016

On 06/14/2016 09:45 AM, Eugene Chekanskiy wrote:
> First of all - I an new to kallithea and want to say big thanks to
> everyone who are developing this product, my first impression is very
> positive, kallithea has almost everything that I need.
> And now - questions:
>
>  1. Do we have some progress bar or progress indicator for long
>     running operations like repo clone, index build, repote update(or
>     at leas plans for this)? It looks really ugly to look at browser
>     "Waiting for 127.0.0.1" :(

We have something closer to that if using celeryd. Try checking the
documentation. The documentation could perhaps make it more clear that
it also addresses this issue - patches are welcome ;-)

>  1. Do we use some "cool" web stuff like writing code using some
>     frameworks, passing it to something like node.js and get in result
>     "cool" compiled and minified version of application, or just plain
>     html templates + js?(asking this, because want to contribute and I
>     don't know all that front-end stuff, but have some experience with
>     plain js and html and it must be simple to extend with some
>     reviews and maybe help from contributors)

For now we use plain html templates based on Pylons but are moving
towards TurboGears. I think there are relatively easy very-nice-to-have
improvements to do on the UI side. Bigger improvements will need
substantial internal changes before the backend is at a place where a
more "cool" frontend actually will solve important problems.