Release plans for Kallithea

Konstantin Veretennicov kveretennicov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 19:59:40 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 9:21 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire
<patrickdepinguin at gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> The last release of Kallithea dates back to more than a year ago, so we really
> need to make a new one, or better yet, three new ones. I had a chat with Mads
> and Andrew about it, and here is the proposed plan:
>
> 1. Stable release 0.3.3
> First, create 0.3.3 based on the stable branch. In addition to the changes
> already on stable since 0.3.2, I have selected a number of changes from the
> default branch that I think should make it to 0.3.3. These changes are mostly
> bug fixes but also some small generic improvements with no risk.
> These proposed extra changes can be reviewed at:
> https://bitbucket.org/conservancy/kallithea/pull-requests/352
>
> 2. Feature release 0.9
> On the default branch there has been a lot of development since release 0.3, the
> last merge from default to stable (now almost two years ago). There are the big
> patch sets: migration from nose to pytest, migration from Pylons to TurboGears2,
> and the ongoing migration from custom styling to Bootstrap. And obviously there
> have been many other changes as well.
> The plan is to finish the migration to Bootstrap and then create a 0.9 feature
> release. Any problems reported on 0.9 will be fixed and lead to the long
> awaited...
>
> 3. Release 1.0
> As discussed recently, there are people/companies that do not consider
> Kallithea an option just because the version number is still in the 0.x range.
> Moreover, the renewal of the test framework (pytest), Python backend
> (TurboGears2) and frontend styling (Bootstrap) is an appropriate time to mark
> the 1.0 milestone.
> In terms of features, the 1.0 release will be similar to the 0.9 release but
> with any reported problems fixed.
>

> Feedback welcome!

Thumbs up!

Any plans for "after 1.0"?

Also, will there be any shift in dev policies when 1.0 is hit?
Normally users expect higher stability and compatibility from 1.x
releases, compared to 0.x. On the other hand, I see pressure on
Kallithea maintainers to hasten integration of changes, shorten
reviews, etc. Those can be a bit contradictory.

--
Konstantin