Release plans for Kallithea

David Bainbridge david.bainbridge at ericsson.com
Thu Jun 29 13:51:00 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Like most companies these days we are heavy users of Git, and our primary repository management solution  is based on Gerrit, where we are active in the open source community, along with Google, SAP, CollabNet and others.

As part of my role, I have been monitoring Kallithea and this mailing list for some time, but as Thomas says there is an issue with perception. (I also monitor the commercial alternatives like GitHub, Bitbucket, GitLab, and so on as well).

So here are a few thoughts that may help (or not!!) ...

If you are not releasing regularly you tend to slip off the radar. Having the most recent release being over a year old would demonstrate that the project is dead in the opinion of some. The mailing list shows a different view, of course, as does Openhub.net
https://www.openhub.net/p/kallithea

Developing without releasing means that features are just not getting out there to organizations that may want to adopt Kallithea.

As Thomas says, the release numbering also shows that Kallithea has not reached version 1 yet. If you are going to use an open source component as the primary way for managing repos containing your company's intellectual property then you are looking for something that has reached a level of maturity at which the community developing it is prepared to declare that the project is mature enough to at least start at 1.0!

So, from my perspective this is a really good move and puts Kallithea on the map, instead of in the heap marked 'pending'.

We aren't using Kallithea yet, but this is going in the right direction!

I know the above takes a 'company' view of this, and of course this is not the whole picture.

Regards

David Bainbridge

Ericsson

DAVID BAINBRIDGE
Product Manager SW Development
Strategic Product Manager, Configuration and Compliance Management
BNEP EITTE SP&S Platforms&Infrastructure

david.bainbridge at ericsson.com
www.ericsson.com