Eating our own dog food

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 09:30:29 UTC 2017

Hi Dominik,

> Hi,
>
> I think we should start to eat our own dog food.
> Meaning, we should use our own kallithea for pull requests instead of
> bitbucket.
> For this to work, users need to be able to create forks on
> https://kallithea-scm.org/repos/.
> So I suggest creating a 'users' repo group, where each user gets his own
> repo group named after him. There he can create forks and pull requests.
>
> What do do you think?

I fully agree about using our own Kallithea. We discussed about it too
at the Antwerp meeting early 2016, notes are at
https://bitbucket.org/conservancy/kallithea/wiki/DeveloperMeeting2016January
pasted for convenience here:

-------------
Dogfooding: Should we do Kallithea code pull requests to our own Kallithea?

- Just do it!
- need a way to "patch-bomb" pull requests from Ook to the mailing
list to give transparency / visibility
- would be nice to also 'read' comments sent by e-mail and apply to
the web interface
our own Kallithea is (currently) not set up for public hosting or self
registration - that could block 'new contributors', so
auto-registrations should be interesting, should create accounts for
contributors

Andrew created accounts for Jan, Søren and Mathias
meanwhile: we should probably have an option to send an email to a
newly created user that their account has been created so that they
reset password for themselves
Andrew has played with OAuth-based registration, but that went
nowhere… (turbogears with repoze.who may help here)

with auto registration, people will be able to comment/review without
further work