Fwd: Release plans for Kallithea

Dominik Ruf dominikruf at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 15:07:37 UTC 2017

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Dominik Ruf <dominikruf at gmail.com>
Date: Mi., 12. Juli 2017 um 17:32 Uhr
Subject: Re: Release plans for Kallithea
To: Kallithea <kallithea-general at sfconservancy.org>

Konstantin Veretennicov <kveretennicov at gmail.com> schrieb am Mi., 28. Juni
2017 um 21:59 Uhr:

> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 9:21 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire
> <patrickdepinguin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > The last release of Kallithea dates back to more than a year ago, so we
> really
> > need to make a new one, or better yet, three new ones. I had a chat with
> Mads
> > and Andrew about it, and here is the proposed plan:
> >
> > 1. Stable release 0.3.3
> > First, create 0.3.3 based on the stable branch. In addition to the
> changes
> > already on stable since 0.3.2, I have selected a number of changes from
> the
> > default branch that I think should make it to 0.3.3. These changes are
> mostly
> > bug fixes but also some small generic improvements with no risk.
> > These proposed extra changes can be reviewed at:
> > https://bitbucket.org/conservancy/kallithea/pull-requests/352
> >
> > 2. Feature release 0.9
> > On the default branch there has been a lot of development since release
> 0.3, the
> > last merge from default to stable (now almost two years ago).

BTW is there a reason why it's been a while since the last merge from
stable to default as well?

> There are the big
> > patch sets: migration from nose to pytest, migration from Pylons to
> TurboGears2,
> > and the ongoing migration from custom styling to Bootstrap. And
> obviously there
> > have been many other changes as well.
> > The plan is to finish the migration to Bootstrap and then create a 0.9
> feature
> > release. Any problems reported on 0.9 will be fixed and lead to the long
> > awaited...
> >
> > 3. Release 1.0
> > As discussed recently, there are people/companies that do not consider
> > Kallithea an option just because the version number is still in the 0.x
> range.
> > Moreover, the renewal of the test framework (pytest), Python backend
> > (TurboGears2) and frontend styling (Bootstrap) is an appropriate time to
> mark
> > the 1.0 milestone.
> > In terms of features, the 1.0 release will be similar to the 0.9 release
> but
> > with any reported problems fixed.
> >

> > Feedback welcome!
>
> Thumbs up!
>
> Any plans for "after 1.0"?
>
> Also, will there be any shift in dev policies when 1.0 is hit?
> Normally users expect higher stability and compatibility from 1.x
> releases, compared to 0.x. On the other hand, I see pressure on
> Kallithea maintainers to hasten integration of changes, shorten
> reviews, etc. Those can be a bit contradictory.
>
> Since I kicked off that discussion, I feel like I should respond to this.
It is not my intention to 'hasten integration'.
But what I criticized is the fact them some pull requests lay around for
ages, without any comments and some small fixes are held back in hopes
of bigger and better fixes (which may never come). In these cases,
when things don't get fixed, it even hurts the stability.

I admit the bootstrap PR is (was) very big and therefore bears some risks.
But it is not without risk, to slice tings into small pieces, like we ended
up doing.
In fact, some of the broken down changesets, broke certain things because
they
were incomplete.

So, things have their pros and cons and we should discuss about these.
But here, I believe, lays the main problem.
We do not discuss these things or do so very purely.
Like when I do not get any kind of response for 2 month.
Or in general, there is no 'reach out' to discuss, how to improve things.
The project feels very passive.

Better/more clear communication is my main concern. That is what needs to
get better,
in order for this project to thrive.