Eating our own dog food

Sean Farley sean at farley.io
Mon Jul 24 22:42:10 UTC 2017

Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> writes:

> On 07/18/2017 08:35 AM, Dominik Ruf wrote:
>> Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com <mailto:mads at kiilerich.com>>
>> schrieb am Di., 18. Juli 2017 um 01:10 Uhr:
>>
>>     Hosting of code from open source contributors requires some continous
>>     amount of work and resources. Both for establishing trust and for
>>     cleaning up when rogue players abuse the system anyway.
>>
>> How is that different onbitbucket.org <http://bitbucket.org/>?
>> What kind of abuse do you suspect?
>
> Bitbucket do (for the same reason) have a legal department, constant
> monitoring, and people and process for dealing with DMCA takedown
> notices and similar.

Just to verify what Mads is saying: this is true. In fact, we have so
many requests that our legal team mostly trains our support staff to do
the legal side of things (or the bulk work before bringing in a lawyer).

> If we open loopholes where anybody can make anything available for
> download, it will be abused for hosting illegal content.

I can 100% promise that the minute you turn on account creation +
arbitrary uploads, you will have questionable content.