Integrating npm front-end with Kallithea

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Wed Nov 8 11:37:52 UTC 2017

On 11/08/2017 08:53 AM, Andrew Shadura wrote:
> Why can't use use any of the Python implementations of Less? Or use
> either JS one or Python one depending on what's available?

I guess we could. I don't have an opinion on that. Those that do the
work get to decide. And I do see the value of sticking to the most
commonly used tool chain.

Less is one thing - then comes javascript and minifier ... and the need
to be able to use custom variables when building Bootstrap.

I don't think less is the problem. It comes "for free" with the solution
to some of the bigger problems:

* We "need" bits and pieces from npm packages. Primarily Bootstrap, but
also all the other front end libraries that are so hard to vendor in a
GPL compatible way.

* We thus need npm to download the packages.

* We need the right build tools for these packages ... and they also
come from npm by default (and nothing else is supported).