Integrating npm front-end with Kallithea

Dominik Ruf dominikruf at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 18:31:20 UTC 2017

Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> schrieb am Mi., 8. Nov. 2017 um
12:37 Uhr:

> On 11/08/2017 08:53 AM, Andrew Shadura wrote:
> > Why can't use use any of the Python implementations of Less? Or use
> > either JS one or Python one depending on what's available?
>
> I guess we could. I don't have an opinion on that. Those that do the
> work get to decide. And I do see the value of sticking to the most
> commonly used tool chain.
>
> Less is one thing - then comes javascript and minifier ... and the need
> to be able to use custom variables when building Bootstrap.
>
> I don't think less is the problem. It comes "for free" with the solution
> to some of the bigger problems:

I agree. i don't think less is a problem.
Since less is the compiler I don't think we need to provide the sources for
less at all.

> * We "need" bits and pieces from npm packages. Primarily Bootstrap, but
> also all the other front end libraries that are so hard to vendor in a
> GPL compatible way.

In my PR, Bootstrap is the only thing that is downloaded via npm.

> * We thus need npm to download the packages.

Strictly speaking we don't need it. We could download the Bootstrap sources
any way we'd like. They only need to be in the expected directory structure.