Current caching

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 12:04:37 UTC 2018

On Feb 4, 2018 12:32, "Dominik Ruf" <dominikruf at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018, 12:03 Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> wrote:

> On 02/03/2018 10:12 PM, Dominik Ruf wrote:
>

> Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> schrieb am Sa., 3. Feb. 2018 um
> 19:32 Uhr:
>
>> On 02/01/2018 12:50 AM, Dominik Ruf wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I'm currently looking at the caching Kallithea does. And I'm a
>> > bit...baffled.
>>
>> Yes, it is quite baffling and not very efficient.
>>
>> I think it very rarely gives any real benefit - it might even make
>> things slower. In real world setups with multiple repositories served by
>> each worker process, cache hits are quite rare.
>
> For large git repositories we certainly do need caching.
>

> Perhaps. But it is probably a very different kind of caching we need.

Displaying a changelog page with 100 changesets currently takes 54 seconds
even with the current caching for the Linux Kernel.
I'm about to make some changes that will get this down to about 2.5
seconds. But of course this also depends on caching.

This is with a hot cache, ie not just invalidated?

Do you see the same for a similar mercurial repository, or is it specific
to git? What makes the difference?

Is this on an SSD disk or spinning disk?

In our old installation we had performance problems with a large
(mercurial) repo with many heads (review repo where nothing ever gets
merged), particularly after invalidating of the cache. After upgrading
Kallithea we were able to bump mercurial (which was supposed to have
improvements to dealing with many heads), and additionally convert our
repos to the generaldelta storage format. Now performance is relatively
fine. Loading a changelog page definitely does not take 54 seconds, with
both cold and hot cache.