Language file `en` missing

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Wed Dec 4 01:02:35 UTC 2019

On 12/2/19 3:08 AM, Wolfgang Scherer wrote:
>> Is your point that the problem would be fixed by providing an empty kallithea/i18n/en/LC_MESSAGES/kallithea.mo (and building a corresponding .po)?
> Unfortunately, the translation file cannot be empty. Anything missing in the translation file is looked up in the next translation file of the chain.

So ... there is no problem in the simple case with one preferred
translation, and fallback to "untranslated".

But any i18n code that support multiple prioritized translations with
fall-through between translations must know that if the default
"untranslated" language is in the prioritized list of languages, then
that language has 100% coverage even without any actual translations,
and it should never look further in the list. I don't think Kallithea is
doing anything in that area. It rely on TurboGears (and webob and what
not). If it doesn't work correctly, then it must be because we don't use
these modules correctly, or because a bug in these libraries (which we
then may have to work around until fixed). But before trying to work
around in Kallithea: Exactly where is the problem?