Issue #370: Kallithea no longer authorizes with Atlassian Crowd properly using python3 (conservancy/kallithea)

crule issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Fri May 8 18:27:59 UTC 2020

New issue 370: Kallithea no longer authorizes with Atlassian Crowd properly using python3
https://bitbucket.org/conservancy/kallithea/issues/370/kallithea-no-longer-authorizes-with

Chris Rule:

I was using the latest stable version 0.6.0 updated to using python3.

When attempting to connect to Atlassian Crowd version 4.0 an error would appear in the syslog: “getting bytes expecting str” and the user would never be authenticated using Crowd.

Finally traced this down to an issue where urllib.readlines\(\) is returning bytes, but the auth\_crowd.py module was expecting a string.

Enclosed is a patch file for one way to fix this. It should work for python2 but I have not tried fix this under python2. I also suspect this has nothing to do with the version of Crowd.