how to install kallithea from source

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Thu Aug 13 16:24:50 UTC 2020

On 8/13/20 5:45 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Hi
>
> Since I cannot install kallitea via pip (my python version in Ubuntu
> 16.04 is too old) I thought to give the installation from source a try.
>

> The documentation in
> https://kallithea.readthedocs.io/en/stable/installation.html
>
> Reads
>
> ,----
> | hg clone https://kallithea-scm.org/repos/kallithea -u stable
> | cd kallithea
> | python3 -m venv ../kallithea-venv
> | . ../kallithea-venv/bin/activate
> | pip install --upgrade pip setuptools
> | pip install --upgrade -e .
> | python3 setup.py compile_catalog   # for translation of the UI
> `----
>
> I don't understand the lines
>
>   python3 -m venv ../kallithea-venv
>   . ../kallithea-venv/bin/activate
>
> Is this supposed to be one line?
> What does the . At the beginning of the second line supposed to be?

No, that is two separate commands that can be run as written.

`.` is a `sh` command for sourcing another file. In recent derivates
like bash it can also be invoked as `source`. See `help .` and `help
source` and
https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/venv.html#creating-virtual-environments
(and https://kallithea-scm.org/repos/kallithea/changeset/855ba1f07aeb ).