how to install kallithea from source

Uwe Brauer oub at mat.ucm.es
Thu Aug 13 17:54:04 UTC 2020

   > Hi Uwe,
   > On Thu, Aug 13, 2020, 17:50 Uwe Brauer <oub-YB6e1s5WF/He5aOfsHch1g at public.gmane.org> wrote:

   > The '.' is an alias to the 'source' shell command. It reads and executes
   > the file provided as arguments.
   > See section "Shell Builtin Commands" at:
   > https://linux.die.net/man/1/bash

Ah this is a bash thing, I have used only tcsh all my life and haven't
come across that.

   > The 'activate' script is provided by virtualenv/venv and sets certain
   > environment variables, like PATH to make sure the right python executable
   > and libraries are used.
   > This would not be possible of the script were directly executed, as opposed
   > to source'ing it, because environment variables set by a program or script
   > do not impact its parent (shell) process, only the program/script itself
   > and its children.

   > Note that virtualenv/venv will use the python3 found in PATH, so if you
   > only have python 3.5 you will still not be able to install kallithea.
   > If you can install python 3 6 or later in another way, you can make sure to
   > call that python executable instead of 'python3', e.g

   > python3.6 -m venv ../kallithea-venv

   > There exist ways to install a specific python version as a normal user,
   > e.g. with pyenv (https://github.com/pyenv/pyenv) or other similar tools.
   > You could also install a python version from source manually.

Yeah, but I think at this point Mads is most likely right, it is time to
say good by to Ubuntu 16.04 and  install 20.04. I am afraid to screw up
too many things if I have another python version in my machine

But I still don't understand

cd kallithea  #OK
python3 -m venv ../kallithea-venv #OK
. ../kallithea-venv/bin/activate #OK
pip install --upgrade pip setuptools # this is system wide
pip install --upgrade -e . # this is system wide
python3 setup.py compile_catalog   # for translation of the UI

Now I get
pip install --upgrade -e . # this is system wide
ERROR: File "setup.py" not found. Directory cannot be installed in editable mode: /home/oub/src

pip install --upgrade -e .
,----
| Obtaining file:///home/oub/src/kallithea
|     Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
|     Traceback (most recent call last):
|       File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
|       File "/home/oub/src/kallithea/setup.py", line 13, in <module>
|         raise Exception('Kallithea requires Python 3.6 or later')
|     Exception: Kallithea requires Python 3.6 or later
`----

Ok so this is impossible. Sigh

Then I checked the documentation about virtualenv

python3 -m venv /srv/kallithea/venv

Gives me an error
Permission denied: '/srv/kallithea'

So shall I run this as root?

I am a bit confused about who (root or normal user) to install and
where, globally in the system or in .local

The documentation tells me

mkdir /srv/kallithea

That obviously does not work, so shall I do this as root and then change
the owner and group. Sorry but the documentation is a bit unclear here.