installation still does work

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 18:30:51 UTC 2020

Hi Uwe,

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020, 17:24 Uwe Brauer <oub at mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I followed the instructions in
>
> https://medium.com/@moreless/install-python-3-6-on-ubuntu-16-04-28791d5c2167
> and in fact installed python 3.8
>
> I cannot de install python 3.5 because a huge amount of package depend
> on python 3.5
>
> However when I follow the instruction
>
> hg clone https://kallithea-scm.org/repos/kallithea -u stable
> cd kallithea
> python3 -m venv ../kallithea-venv
> . ../kallithea-venv/bin/activate
> pip install --upgrade pip setuptools
> pip install --upgrade -e .
> python3 setup.py compile_catalog   # for translation of the UI
>

> ,----
> |
> | https://kallithea.readthedocs.io/en/stable/installation.htmlpip install
> --upgrade -e .
> | Obtaining file:///home/oub/src/kallithea
> |     ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
> |      command: /home/oub/src/kallithea-venv/bin/python3 -c 'import sys,
> setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] =
> '"'"'/home/oub/src/kallithea/setup.py'"'"';
> __file__='"'"'/home/oub/src/kallithea/setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize,
> '"'"'open'"'"', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"',
> '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, '"'"'exec'"'"'))'
> egg_info --egg-base /tmp/pip-pip-egg-info-h0npqkk4
> |          cwd: /home/oub/src/kallithea/
> |     Complete output (5 lines):
> |     Traceback (most recent call last):
> |       File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
> |       File "/home/oub/src/kallithea/setup.py", line 13, in <module>
> |         raise Exception('Kallithea requires Python 3.6 or later')
> |     Exception: Kallithea requires Python 3.6 or later
> |     ----------------------------------------
> | ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info
> Check the logs for full command output.
> `----
>
> Well python3 was symbolically still linked to python3.5
>
> So I changed that set the link from python 3.8 to python 3
>
> Did not work,

In general you should avoid changing such links manually. I suggest you
restore the original one.
The virtual environment (venv) created with the command will use the python
used for the command itself. This means that you will get a python 3.8 env
if you create it with python 3.8.

So use the following command:

python3.8 -m venv ../kallithea-venv

After activating the environment, the 'bin' directory inside the venv will
be added to your PATH variable, and you can use any of the python symlinks
provided there.

As background material, you could look at
https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/venv.html

> /usr/bin/python3.8 -m pip install --upgrade pip setuptools

For these and subsequent commands you should not use the absolute path to a
python from your system directories. Instead, you should use the command
names directly, which will be resolved via the modified PATH prepared by
the activation of the virtual environment.

Best regards
Thomas