Changelog table crashes if it tries to render a commit with an empty message

Brett Smith brett at sfconservancy.org
Tue Dec 15 15:10:42 UTC 2020

On 12/14/20 5:15 PM, Mads Kiilerich wrote:
> Ouch, yeah, .splitlines() is confusingly different from .split('\n') .
> Thanks for the patch.
>
> Would it perhaps be better to just use .split instead of .splitlines()?

Your call but on balance I do think splitlines is better. It splits on
all kinds of Unicode line separators
<https://docs.python.org/3/library/stdtypes.html#str.splitlines>, not
just \n, and I think that's good when you're dealing with very arbitrary
user text like this.

> But since the commit message text is shown as a link, would it perhaps
> be even better to avoid the void and show a text like "(No commit
> message)"?

I think that would be nice. It wasn't in my patch because I wasn't sure
what all was involved with adding a new message string to the code, but
if you can make it happen I think it would be worth it.

In general I didn't think my patch was thorough enough to apply directly
to the code. I sent it just to communicate exactly where I found the bug.

Thanks,

--
Brett Smith