logistics - how to handle sale, inventory, etc. (was Re: starting the discussion: merchandising at Conservancy)

Tony Sebro tony at sfconservancy.org
Thu Feb 7 13:16:36 EST 2013

On 02/06/2013 04:09 PM, Amy Terlaga wrote:
> Hi Tony--
>
> I'm interested in starting up some merchandise sales for the Evergreen
> project.  We'd love to have some things to sell in time for our April
> conference (April 10-13).
> I have no idea as to how much money
> we'd need to get a good base of merch for sale for this initial wave and I'd
> need some help with that.
***Logistics - how to handle sale, inventory, etc.

It's my understanding that online on-demand stores like Zazzle and Cafe
Press solve the problems of managing inventory, managing the point of
sale transaction, and investing up-front costs.  However, the quality of
the printing is invariably below that of a dedicated screen printing
shop.  Of course, for conferences where you want to sell shirts on-site,
you'll have to manage a small inventory of shirts in various sizes
anyway.  You'd have to pony up the up front costs for the inventory and
hope that you'll be able to sell enough to break even.

Regarding turn-around:  if memory serves, a screen printing shop needs
about ten business days to print a run of shirts (not including rush
orders, which cost extra, or shipping time).

Any other thoughts?  Has anyone received a recent quote for a run of
shirts and/or other merch items, for example?

-Tony

--
Tony Sebro, General Counsel, Software Freedom Conservancy
+1-212-461-3245 x11
tony at sfconservancy.org
www.sfconservancy.org