Exploring the possibility of better NPO support in LedgerSMB

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Tue May 7 21:22:32 EDT 2013

Hi Bradley,

Just a couple clarifications then, if once we are on the same page what a
"self evaluation" is there for, you still don't think it would be helpful,
we'll put together more general documentation and provide a pointer to it.
 There are some things I would probably say in a self-evaluation that I
might not say on our web site however, particularly when it comes to the
code we are still in the process of removing.

First, I have no intention of doing the Conservancy's evaluation work for
you.  If I gave you that impression, I sincerely apologize.    The offers
were merely to help facilitate your work in the hope that we would get
better and more feedback from your organization over the process, and that
the time you would spend evaluating the software could be better focused on
your specific criteria.  A self evaluation is not there for you to use in
your determination directly but as a document which can be used to indicate
the project's perspective on things.  The intended use is to help your
organization understand our direction, our codebase, and our community.
 The offer for hosting is simply that because the NPO-specific features are
in beta, it might be good to have help ensuring that bugs found that cause
blockage, they can be quickly fixed by us so you can continue with your
evaluation.  Obviously you'd still have to review functionality from your
perspective, try things out, and review code as well.

I further recognize the danger of appearing partial and I would suggest
actually inviting various open source candidates to provide self
evaluations.  But part of the reason is that unless you intend to have a
fully separate project, one consideration may be community.  Anyway, that's
all I have to say about this, and if such self-evaluations may be helpful,
I would be happy to help reach out to other people I know in some other
projects for their ones too.

I do have some questions which may affect my opinion as to what is the best
codebase to choose, but I will ask separately so not as to muddy the waters.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers