Quasar (was Re: Status on NPO Accounting project: Conservancy seeks a contractor to begin work)

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Wed Aug 28 20:53:23 EDT 2013

Le 2013-08-28 20:24, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> On 08/28/2013 03:40 PM, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
>> Perhaps so -- although, is there any reason to believe their code base
>> is miles above the many other codebases out there of this type?  I'm
>> reluctant to burn time trying to get a codebase liberated that isn't
>> uniquely suited.
> Yeah, we already tried that once, which is why this accounting software
> wasn't written 3 years ago ...
>
> (for those not in the know, I was working on a funded project to do this
> software in 2009, but our main funder got sidetracked by the goal of
> "liberating" some proprietary NPO accounting software, and I had to move
> on to other things)

 From what I have seen and experience in my particular case, I could not
imagine any NPO accounting software owner would be willing to part with
proprietary code. Fund accounting looks like quite a lucrative industry
that is really driven by software and very little by service. The
approach of going with some already open sourced code from a solid
accounting package, to me, would seem to be the more common sense
approach. I can only see a lot of "push-back" from the fund accounting
proprietary owners at the prospect of having a new player on the block
with an open sourced fund accounting package.

If you were working on the project, what happened to the code? or were
you just at the planning stage without any starter code?

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré