Fwd: System76 Introduces Open Source Accounting Platform

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn at sfconservancy.org
Fri Sep 6 09:47:03 EDT 2013

Josh Berkus wrote on 28 August:
> Nope.  This could go on the pile of packages to evaluate.

I am not really considering it due to the goofiness of their license...

> Note, though, that Beansbooks is not using an OSI-approved license.  I
> don't see anything specifically wrong with their license, but a lawyer
> would need to look over it.

It's a fork of a Yahoo! drafted license, but with changes.  I've sent it
over to the OSI lists, and no one has commented, and I also sent it to
FSF to ask for review.

Does anyone have good contacts at System76 to discuss this issue with
them?  I've heard of them often to be a company very friendly to Free
Software, but I don't know anyone there to start a conversation about
their license choice.  The FSF folks suggested that's probably the best
next step, rather than merely throwing a decision about the Freeness/
Openess over the wall without talking with System76 first.

--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Executive Director, Software Freedom Conservancy