Underfunding or why I am not interested

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 13:49:22 EST 2014

> I believe that the point of conflict is that somebody is earning money,
> and others do contribution (for him) for free. That's discouraging. And to
> avoid the discouragement people invented GPL and (later) AGPL.

This is historically inaccurate. This motivational issue is indeed real,
but not for everyone in every case. What you are describing really applies
to the problematic non-commercial restrictions of a license like CC-BY-NC.
The reason people like me go out of the way to emphasize that GPL and AGPL
are *not* anti-commercial is to distinguish them from licenses with NC
restrictions.

The invention of the GPL / AGPL arose from a desire not to see the sorts of
restrictions and anti-features that are common with proprietary software.
It was definitely *not* from a motivation of avoiding a situation where
some contributors were paid and others weren't. That speculation is simply
false. Richard Stallman, the original author, has said over and over from
the very beginning that there is nothing wrong with being paid and that he
himself was often paid in one way or another to write the earliest GPL
software.

You skipped the part about "freedom to maintain your branch private".

Because that is not differentiated. The AGPL permits that freedom. It only
says that you must share your source and license freedoms if you publish.
There is no such thing as a "private branch" that is public. That's a
direct contradiction. If it is public, it's not private. The AGPL puts no
restrictions on what is done privately.

Freedom of one's is a restriction for others.

It can be said, "your freedom to swing your fists stops where my nose
begins". Freedom to restrict others is not included in the range of freedom
I'm talking about. That's the definition. Yes, there are conflicts. Once
you are talking about restricting others significantly, freedom starts
turning into "power".

I will restate what was confusing from before.

There are two logically consistent positions that oppose AGPL in principle:

1. You say that you care about freedom. So, you reject the AGPL and also
reject proprietary licenses. You believe both are not free enough. In your
view of freedom, AGPL is non-free. You are not a hypocrite because you also
say that proprietary licenses are at least as bad if not far worse.

2. You say that you don't care about freedom. Thus, you think proprietary
licenses are fine and you don't like that the AGPL hampers proprietization.

There is a third position that is like position one but does not oppose
AGPL in principle. It says that AGPL is fine and is free enough but is just
a bad tactic.

The hypocrite's position says that AGPL is bad *because* it is not free
enough but that proprietary licenses are fine. This is nonsense because if
your reason to reject AGPL is because of concern for freedom, it is
inconsistent not to apply that same reasoning to proprietary licensing.

I'm not trying to say we always agree on exactly what freedom is or when it
matters. I'm just saying that we are indeed talking about the same general
topic. I do not appreciate your attempts to mark what I'm talking about as
some sort of pedantic unusual interpretation. I'm not talking about
whatever you think GNUfreedom is. You are misunderstanding a basic fact:
All the GNU folks *know* that the GPL clause restricting license changes
*is* a restriction of freedom, they just think that is a good tactic for
freedom overall because their motivation is to discourage proprietary
licenses which are even more non-free.

--
Aaron Wolf
wolftune.com