A specific proposal on licensing

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 23:16:10 EST 2014

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Josh Berkus <josh at agliodbs.com> wrote:

> All:
>
> I wanted to post this based on a discussion in Bradley's presentation
> yesterday on the project here at SCALE.
>
> I would like the *accounting library* to be licensed LGPL.  My reason is
> that I want to write software which embeds the library which is under a
> different open source license, such as BSD.

LGPL sounds about right in this case.

> If the library is licensed AGPL, I believe that it will fail in its
> purpose as a library because it will be exclusively reserved to people
> who want to write AGPL applications, which however you cut it is a
> minority of developers.  This is, after all, the reason why the LGPL
> exists; because more restrictive versions of GPL licenses are not
> compatible with library usage.

> This is distinct from the eventual NPO accounting *application*, which
> should probably be AGPL because Blackbaud.
>
> Bradley argued that "we can wait until someone comes to us and wants to
> build something to relicense".  I believe that's a huge mistake; the
> majority of potential downstream application builders will dismiss the
> project without ever contacting us if the license is wrong.

On top of that, if the API is specified, the more likely result is that
people will say "hey this is cool.  Let's re-implement for interoperability
purposes."

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
> http://pgexperts.com

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor
lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more