Survey of existing FLOSS accounting systems (was Re: Revitalization of npoacct project; Brett Smith will take over as project lead)

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn at sfconservancy.org
Thu Aug 25 23:38:50 UTC 2016

Daniel Pocock wrote:
> If you can use an existing GL

Yes, our existing long term plan for some time has been to use one of the
existing stand-alone double-entry accounting systems....

> Another idea is to concentrate on making packages, libraries or modules
> that can be shared between different solutions.

... probably adapting it into a reusable library and building on it.

However, what Brett's currently doing is in the application side of things --
a confined application that AFAICT doesn't exist in any other accounting
application.  However, if there is code that I missed when looking for
existing reimbursement/payment request systems, please do point us to it.

As Brett mentioned in his post earlier today, we would welcome folks who'd
like to focus on hooking the reimbursement system up to backends of other
accounting systems.  We'll initially be focusing on the backends that SPI
and Conservancy currently use, but welcome collaboration.

> On 25/08/16 21:24, Tim Schofield wrote:
> > this project has spent a lot of time and money trying to
> > re-invent double entry transaction processing.

This characterization is quite inaccurate, and easily disputed by reading
past traffic on this list.
--
   -- bkuhn