frequency of conflict disclosure reports (was Re: Conflict of Interest policy, 1 March 2012 draft)

Tony Sebro tony at sfconservancy.org
Fri Mar 2 15:40:27 EST 2012

On 03/01/2012 09:42 PM, Chris Leonard wrote:
> Comments and questions in-line with relevant COI language.
>
> cjl
> Member, Sugar Labs Oversight Board (PLC)

Thanks for the feedback, Chris.

>> * *Conservancy Conflict Disclosure Form.* Every six months, each
>> Conservancy Person shall complete a Conservancy Conflict Disclosure
>> form<<Exhibit-A,attached as Exhibit A>>  and submit it to the Board and to
>> Conservancy's General Counsel.
> Out of curiosity, why every six months for Conservancy People and
> annually for PLC members?  I'm reasonably familiar with COI and
> disclosure policy for Federal (and federal contractor) employees and
> typically disclosure forms are filed annually.
>
> Is there a benefit to the SFC (or the projects) to have more frequent
> filing by Conservancy People?

The chosen frequency of conflict disclosure reports is our attempt to
strike a balance between the benefit of maintaining up-to-date records
and the burden of paperwork.  Conservancy Persons are more likely to
encounter conflicts than PLC Persons due to the sheer number of Member
Projects we support -- hence the greater frequency.

If the reporting becomes burdensome, we can certainly consider updating
the policy to only require annual disclosures.

Best,
-Tony

--
Tony Sebro, General Counsel, Software Freedom Conservancy
212.461.3245 x11
tony at sfconservancy.org
www.sfconservancy.org